‘What is the best time to drink tea?’ - easily the most frequent question we get asked since we launched our tea company. And, no matter how many times we get asked that question, it never gets old, because EVERY TIME is tea time! One of the most wonderful things about tea is the fact that it is so eclectic. No matter the day, time, weather, or the mood, there is always a blend to satisfy a need.
With everything happening in the world now, we have been feeling a little bit more uneasy and anxious than usual, especially anticipating what the post-pandemic norm would be. Unfortunately, as it goes, sometimes excessive uneasiness and anxiety may trigger mild insomnia for some time. On top of everything else, sleeplessness is not something we want to add to the table. So, we are turning to tea, amongst other things, to try to ease some of the stress and induce calming sleep.
One of our go to teas for moments like these? Alexandria - an Egyptian sourced Organic Chamomile Flower tea.
In the past, Chamomile was customarily used for centuries as an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and healing medicine. Today, in addition to the aforementioned, chamomile tea is frequently used around the world as a mild sedative to calm nerves and reduce anxiety, treat insomnia, nightmares, sleeplessness and other sleep related problems. After almost a decade of drinking Chamomile tea, we can personally attest to its calming and sleep inducing benefits. But beyond these, Chamomile tea is also one of our go-to digestive relaxant teas; we utilize it and will recommend it for gastrointestinal disturbances such as nausea and indigestion.
Fun Fact - The calming effect of Chamomile Tea may be attributed to an antioxidant which it possesses in abundance, called Apigenin. Apigenin has been known to bind to benzodiazepine receptors in the brain that may decrease anxiety and induce sleep.
All of these wonderful health/life benefits aside, we also can’t deny how delicious a well-made cup of chamomile tea is, especially one made with real chamomile flowers (aka loose-leaf chamomile tea). It is earthy and fruity, with a light floral and slightly sweet taste. Best of all, it is a herb, ergo completely caffeine-free. For the time being, we have replaced our usual nighttime cup of chamomile with this latte version; caffeine-free, warm, indulgent, soothing, calming, and sleep-inducing, all while being delicious!
The caffeine-free nature makes it a perfect and healthy beverage to share with the whole family. Swap out your kids night time milk/hot chocolate beverages for a warm cup of Chamomile tea latte.
- Alexandria Chamomile tea
- Semien Infuser mug
- Nile measuring spoon
- Two Nile spoonfuls of Alexandria Chamomile Flower Tea
- ½ cup (4oz) of water
- One cup (8oz) of milk
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- Scoop two Nile spoonfuls of Alexandria directly into the infuser.
- Place the infuser into the mug and pour boiled water over it. Allow it to steep for 5-8 minutes.
- While the tea is steeping, heat and froth the milk. Milk can be heated in the microwave or on a stove.
- Once the tea is ready, remove the infuser and stir in the honey.
- Pour in the milk, and scoop in a layer of foam on top.
- Chamomile tea has mild flavours, so we recommend allowing it to steep for at least 5 minutes.
- If you own a thermometer and want to be extra precise, we recommend bringing the water to a full boil (212°F/100°C).
- We have used dairy milk, but you can substitute your preferred option.
- If you don’t have access to a frothing tool, you can froth the milk in a blender (pour the milk in a blender and blend on medium speed until frothy).
- When you have perfected your perfect cup, try adding different spices, such as cardamom, or nutmeg, or even vanilla extract.